Comprehensive COID Insurance Cover For Employees


Compensation for Occupational Injuries And Diseases

Being compensated for a work-related injury or illness contracted at work will go a long way in ensuring your employees and their family are taken care of financially.

In the last 12 years, we have been ensuring that any employee disabled employment is entitled to medical benefits, pensions and continuing income in the event of death Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (COIDA) 130 of 1993.

COIDA, 130 of 1993, as amended regulates how and when employees who have been injured at work or who have contracted an illness or disease in the workplace are compensated and clearly sets out the legal requirements for tariffs, compensation and the limitations for workers' claims. RMA has the mandate to administer COID for Class IV (Mining) and Class XIII (Iron, Steel and Metals) only.

COIDA pays for medical assessment and diagnosis, identification of the illness and compensation. Likewise, when an employee dies from workplace accidents or an occupational disease, the deceased employee's dependents qualify for benefits.

We’ve paid over R7 million annually on special allowances and extension pensions.

Besides COIDA requirements, we have also built other technologies to help provide better long-term care for critically injured beneficiaries such as our mobile prosthetic clinic, funeral and top-up insurance plans to add value to our members' quality of life. Our leading IT systems can manage both medical, temporary and pension claims easily and efficiently.

What does RMA offer?

Value, affordable benefits, and the highest level of compassionate service. A wide selection of value-added insurance products to reduce gaps. Leading IT tools for convenient and effective handling of legitimate claims.

Active cooperation in providing quality care services through health professionals.

FAQs About Your COID Cover

What is a workplace accident?

An occupational accident arising out of and during an Employee’s employment and resulting in injuries, sickness or even death. This means that as an employee you can seek compensation if you are involved in an accident while ding your job, or if you die from a work-related injury, your beneficiaries will get compensation.

What is an occupational disease?

Occupational diseases are illnesses caused by chemicals or agents you are exposed to in the work environment as an employee. A disease may take some time to become observable. If you develop an occupational illness because of exposure to these agents at your place of employment, you can seek compensation.

What injuries should you report?

All work-related injuries on duty, no matter how minor, need to be reported to your employer who must report these to RMA, including: 

  • Minor lacerations 
  • Contusions 
  • Abrasions

How do you track the status of your claim?

  1. Report an accident or disease claim. 
  2. Receive a claim number immediately. 
  3. Download a letter with the claim number. 
  4. Upload all your supporting documents.

Benefits are payable as:

Medical expenses in South Africa

All reasonable medical expenses related to injury or illness payable for up to two years. If it is a work-related injury, no co-payment is required.

Temporary total disablement

Temporary Total Disablement (TTD), also known as temporary income replacement benefit or days off benefit, is a pay-out for at least three days off work while sick or while recovering from a work-related injury. We will pay you a percentage of your salary throughout your days off following an injury.

Permanent disablement

There are two ways in which we handle permanent disability benefits:

If we measure the disability at between 1% and 30%, we would pay a lump sum.

When your disability is calculated to be over 30%, you will receive a monthly pension that is part of your salary at the time of the injury.


When you die because of your injuries, the following benefits are payable to your beneficiaries: 

  • A one-time lump-sum payout to your spouse; 
  • Your spouse's monthly pension; 
  • Monthly allowance for your children: payable up to the age of 18 years unless the child is physically or mentally disabled and unable to earn an income or is studying, in which case you must apply for an extension; and once-off funeral cover.

Quick claims turnaround track record.

Call Us Now: 0860 222 132


RMA invites you to join our panel of brokers that will extend our
insurance products to the mining and metals companies in South Africa.

Our product offering is comprehensive enough to help you create
uniquely tailored employee solutions for employers.

For more information,
Contact us at

  • Interested? Need More Information?

  • Fill in the form below and click submit, and a RMA representative will be in contact with you.

Get In Touch


0860 222 132